Man sentenced in baby's death

-A A +A
By Alice Du Pont

       Kearse Rashon Bradham, now 19-years-old, was sentenced to 6 years in the Department of Corrections with credit for 420 days served, 9 years probation, cannot be around a child under 12 without supervision, may not babysit a child under 12 and cannot inflict corporal punishment on any child.He was also ordered to complete anger management course by Circuit Judge Kathleen Dekker Tuesday afternoon.
    Dekker said she agonized over the sentence, which could have been 15 years, she did not believe he killed his child intentionally and that he was a  'kid having a kid."
       "I believe something snapped and you allowed it to snap. I don't believe you killed the baby on purpose but by holding that baby so tight you caused a battery," she said.
    Bradham, who was 17-years-old at the time of the child death had been charged initially with second-degree murder. Through a plea bargain agreement those charges were later reduced to manslaughter to which he plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the Oct. 30, 2008 death of his infant daughter, Kione Watson Bradshaw. The child's mother, Tamala Watson and Bradham were alone in the house when the child received a trauma blow to the skull. Watson,who was in the shower at the time, did not witness what  happen.
    "The child received a severe injury to the head that caused injuries to the brain. There was also fresh hemorrhaging between the ribs and minor abrasions to other parts of the body but that the abrasion did not contribute to the child's death," said Dr. Anthony J. Clark, assistant medical examiner who preformed the autopsy.
    Inv. Scott Ivey, of the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office, testified that Bradham told him that he was carrying the child in a cradling position when he tripped and fell forward causing the child's head to strike the sharp edge of a door.
    Dr. Clark said that would not explain the bleeding between the child's ribs in two places or that those injuries would not be consistent with someone giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.     Tamala Watson shed silent tears as a victim's advocate read her written statement.
      "I think about this over and over. My son will never see his little sister again," she wrote. She also stated that the Bradham's put her out of their residence after the death of the baby but kept a photo album that contained the only pictures she has of the infant.
    Bradham's mother, Karen Bradham  said her son suffered with headaches that had him bedridden for 2 to 3 days and that he was often in a confused state during these episodes. She said that since his release from jail he has become a mentor with the Tallahassee Boy's Choir, travelling with the group and transporting children,
      "I feel he has learned quite a lot and has grown up," Karen Bradham said.
    His father, Christopher Bradham, said the few times he was around his son and the baby he appeared to be a loving and caring father. After a few statements, Bradham was unable to continue from a prepared statement. Bradham's attorney, Andrew Thomas, finished reading the  impact statement.
    He said asked for mercy for his son. he said it was hard for his to be in court in his birthday to learn of his son's fate.
    "This was a terrible accident and I believe that with all of my soul," his father said.