Gadsden drug dealer sentenced

-A A +A

Teriel Young, 32, of Quincy, was sentenced May 29 to serve 188 months in federal prison on multiple charges of distributing cocaine and crack cocaine. Young was also sentenced to six years of supervised release and $400 of special monetary assessments, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release.


Young received an enhanced sentence because of his prior convictions for crimes of violence and drug trafficking. His prior convictions include sale of cocaine in 2002 and 2004, resisting an officer with violence in 2004, trafficking cocaine in 2007 and fleeing and eluding at high speed in 2008. He served two sentences in the Florida Department of Corrections, 18 months in 2004 and 2006, and 48 months between 2007 and 2011.


Young was released from state prison in September 2011. In November of the same year, he was arrested in Gadsden County with 34.7 grams of powder cocaine. Young attempted to flee from law enforcement but was subdued by a police dog.


Young bonded out on state charges on Dec. 6, 2011. Shortly thereafter, on Feb. 17, 2012, he sold a small amount of drugs to a confidential informant in Gadsden County. 


Young then relocated to Tallahassee. Between May and August 2012, he made three additional sales to different confidential informants, totaling 11 grams of powder cocaine and 17.5 grams of crack cocaine. On Aug. 30, 2012, deputies served a search warrant at Young’s Tallahassee apartment. They recovered $1,360 in cash, 15.5 grams of powder cocaine, 2.2 grams of crack cocaine, drug records and drug paraphernalia. He was found hiding behind the headboard of a bed.


The U.S. attorney praised the joint efforts of Drug Enforcement Administration, the Leon County Sheriff’s Office and the Tallahassee Police Department.


“A small number of repeat offenders make up a great deal of law enforcement’s caseload, to the great detriment of the communities they live in. With this sentence, at least one of those repeat offenders will be taken off our streets for a long time,” said the U.S. attorney.


Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael T. Simpson prosecuted this case.