2 men held for Christmas Eve murder

-A A +A

Victim stabbed 35 times

By Alice Du Pont

Two men are in custody at the Gadsden County Jail without bond. Marvin Cannon, 31 and Anton McMillan, 27, are both charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and armed robbery.
     They are accused of stabbing  58-year-old Zachariah Morgan, 58, to death and wounding Sean Neel in a Christmas Eve robbery attempt off Flat Creek Road, west of Quincy.
    According to Major Shawn Wood of the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office, Morgan of the Cypress Community in Jackson County came to Gadsden County Dec. 24 around 3 p.m. to purchase corn for deer feed. Traveling with Morgan was his friend, Sean Neel, 43.
    The men met with Cannon and McMillan at the BP station off Hwy. 267 who were supposed to show them where to purchase corn. Instead, the men directed them toward a vacant barn. At some point, while the four men were still in the truck, Cannon stabbed Neel in the neck from behind. Neel jumped out of the truck and made his way to a house in the area and asked for help.
    "The home owner grabbed his gun and went to where Neel said Morgan was in trouble. When he guy got there he held a gun on McMillan until we got there but they had already stabbed Morgan to death and Cannon had run off into the bushes," Wood said.
    Wood said Morgan, who was stabbed approximately 35 times, died at the scene.
    An all out manhunt for Cannon which included at least 60 officers, K-9 and helicopter support from Leon County. Wood said they tracked Cannon about 9 miles through the woods between Flat Creek and Chattahoochee.
   "    The way he escaped us is that he caught a ride in a red pickup truck from the store near the interstate and they brought him to Quincy.  We'd like to talk with them, they're not in any trouble we'd just want to talk about what happened," Wood said.
    Cannon spent Christmas night at the Quincy Inn Motel but ventured out to a local convenience store to buy a 12-pack of beer and returned to the motel. Acting on a tip, authorities went to the motel Dec. 26 and arrested Cannon.
    He talked with authorities more more than an hour before he was taken to the county jail and allegedly recounted the incidents of the 48 hours leading up to his arrest.
    "He talked about it kind of matter-of-factly, sometimes laughing. He didn't seem to have any remorse at all." Wood said.