.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Havana man dead in molly-related death, police say

    A Havana man was killed in Tallahassee on July 15 after breaking into a couple’s home while apparently high on the drug molly.

    Jarod Clemons, 27, had come into the Havana Police Department earlier that day complaining that he had taken a bad batch of the drug. HPD Chief Tracy Smith said Clemons was sweating profusely, demanding water and removing his clothing.

    Body camera footage released by HPD pm  Monday shows Clemons shirtless while sweating profusely and pacing around excitedly.

  • Teacher accused of hitting student

    A Gadsden County teacher was arrested July 14 for allegedly battering a teenage boy involved in a fight with her daughter.

    Nekeshia Harris, 40, of Quincy, has been arrested on a charge of first-
    degree battery — which is a misdemeanor — for the alleged incident, which occurred July 2 at West Gadsden High School. Harris was employed at the school for a district summer program. She works at Carter Parramore Academy during the school year.

  • Determined to stop a killer

    St. James A.M.E. Church opened its dining hall doors Monday evening to host a discussion on the drug molly and the impact it’s having on Gadsden County.

    Sgt. Rodney Moore of the Gadsden County Sheriff’s Office organized the event after a young woman he knows was being processed into the county jail and he could tell she was high on the drug.

  • Keeping it wild

    In a shady cul-de-sac tucked in the county woods between Havana and Quincy lies an animal hospital nursing the types of wild animals many think should be left for dead.

    Instead of leaving these sometime scary animals to die in the wild, St. Francis Wildlife Association takes them in, caring for sick, disabled and wounded wild animals like grey-horned owls with broken wings, possums that have been orphaned and tortoises with their shells caved in (a visible sign that they’ve been struck by a car) until they’re able to once again survive in the wild.

  • Local businesses seek approval to grow Charlotte’s Web marijuana

    At least one nursery in Gadsden County is hoping it will be one of five across the state to be chosen as its region’s medical marijuana producer.

    Lawmakers legalized Charlotte’s Web last year. It’s a marijuana strain that doesn’t get you high but will reduce the tumors of cancer patients and the frequency of seizures in epilepsy patients. Over the last year, production of the drug has been in limbo as opponents of its legalization exhausted attempts to prevent its production and subsequent sell.

  • County’s 6-cent gas tax extended to 2044

    The Board of Gadsden County Commissioners voted to extend the 6-cent local option fuel tax until the end of 2044 at a special meeting this past month.

    The matter was voted on at the June 30 special meeting instead of a normal commission meeting because the county had to alert the state of whether it wanted to extend the tax by the next day.

    The tax produces millions of dollars worth of additional tax revenue for the county by taxing every gallon of motor fuel and diesel fuel sold in the county.

  • Chattahoochee opts for daylong Fourth of July festivities

    Chattahoochee hosted its second annual Independence Day celebration by the river.

     

  • First man exonerated from death row dies

    The national recognition for David Keaton may be about his story as the first man in the nation to be exonerated from death row, but his family and friends will remember him for the good times they had before and after that ordeal.

  • Reliving history in Greensboro

    The West Gadsden Historical Society continued its efforts Saturday to raise money for the revamping of a Greensboro house they bought by hosting a July 4 celebration.

  • Three injured in house fire

    A home in Quincy’s Scott-town community was destroyed Tuesday morning when a fire fully engulfed the house.

    According to firefighters from Quincy’s fire department, the fire began around 8:30 a.m. Family members of the home’s inhabitants believe the fire began when a minor was playing with fireworks — possibly sparklers — and didn’t properly dispose of them afterward.