Man accused of shooting girlfriend

-A A +A
By Alice Du Pont

A 53-year-old Gretna man, Tom Arthur Faison, is in the Gadsden County Jail without bond. He was arrested on a charge of attempted felony murder after allegedly shooting his live-in girlfriend, 37-year-old Yolanda McNealy, on Easter Sunday. He was also charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

According to a Gretna Public Safety Department report, the incident occurred around 1 a.m. March 31 at the couple’s 258 Earnest O. Barkley St. residence they shard for the past two years. a witness said the couple had been entertaining guests at their home when the two started arguing.

The verbal altercation turned physical and Faison allegedly pulled out a .22-caliber handgun, aimed it at McNealy and fired approximately two rounds as she tried to go into their home through the back door. Faison followed McNealy into the house, and the witness followed the couple when he noticed blood on the floor in the kitchen, living room and bedroom, according to the report.

Inside the bedroom, McNealy was seen lying on the bed, bleeding from her right side, and Faison was allegedly lying on top of her. A source close to the investigation said Faison could be heard on the 911 call telling McNealy, “ you’re going to die today.”

According to the report, the witness who followed the couple into the house said that’s when Faison told him to get out of his house. The witness said he left the house and hid outside until police arrived because he feared for his life.
In a taped statement to authorities, Faison reportedly said he “snapped and did not mean to shoot Yo-Yo.” However, in an interview later that day, Faison told authorities McNealy went into the house, got the gun, came back outside and shot a round into the air. After she pushed him in the back with the gun and it fell to the ground, Faison reached for it, blacked out and couldn’t remember anything else that happened until he was placed in handcuffs, according to the official report.

McNealy, who was taken by medical helicopter to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, had surgery to remove the bullet that went through her upper arm and entered her stomach. The bullet also grazed the right side of her head, wounding her but not penetrating the skull. She was still hospitalized at press time.