.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire deemed ‘example’ of poor fire service

-A A +A
By Alice Du Pont

A mobile home fire in Midway last Thursday morning was a "perfect example" of how an all-county volunteer fire department will not work, Quincy Fire Chief Howard Smith told the Quincy City Commission during a special workshop Thursday night.

Smith said it took Quincy fire fighters about eight minutes to arrive at the mobile home, owned by Cassandra Moore, in the 200 block of Buckskin Circle. There were volunteer firefighters on the scene but no efforts had been made to contain the fire, he said.

Volunteers did not have the proper fire gear nor was there enough water. Quincy's 1,800-gallon water truck was on scene and was immediately able to pump water on the structure.

The fire started in the kitchen, which was fully destroyed, around 8:20 a.m. A fire report listed the cause of the blaze as unattended cooking materials left on the stove. No one was at home at the time the fire started.

According to the report, smoke was visible coming from the structure when firefighters arrived. Once they gained entry, the roof collapsed, but there were no injuries.

Property loss was estimated at $20,000 and he home’s contents were estimated at $15,000.