EGHS Jags fall to Wakulla War Eagles

-A A +A


The Wakulla News

It was a game of two halves.

The first half was dominated by the East Gadsden Jaguars on the road against the Wakulla War Eagles on Friday night. The Jaguars capitalized on mistakes made by Wakulla to take a 26-7 first half lead.

But the second half was a different game, and the War Eagles scored 27 unanswered points to win.

Wakulla took the opening kickoff but the opening drive was stopped by a fumble recovered at Wakulla’s 29-yard line. The Jags scored a touchdown to go up 7-0.

The two teams exchanged punts on subsequent drives.

Then Wakulla mounted a drive that culminated with a 12-yard screen pass for a touchdown. The extra point tied it at 7-7 with 24 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

The Jags stormed right back with two quick running plays to score a touchdown, though the point-after was no good, and they led 13-7 with .6 seconds still remaining in the first quarter.

The kickoff was fumbled and East Gadsden recovered at the Wakulla 30. The drive stalled and the Jags tried a field goal — but the snap was low and the holder scrambled with the ball looking for a receiver but his attempted pass fell incomplete and the War Eagles took over.

After taking over on downs, the War Eagles fumbled and the Jags scooped up the ball and returned for a touchdown to make it 20-7.

The two teams exchanged several punts, and then East Gadsden managed a drive down the field to score a touchdown to go up 26-7 with 1:40 remaining in the second quarter.

The War Eagles tried to mount a quick drive to answer but couldn’t convert on a fourth down at midfield, but left the Jags with only a few ticks on the clock before halftime.

To start the second half, the War Eagles kicked off and stopped the Jags deep in their own territory. On fourth down and goal-to-go, Wakulla scored on a 2-yard run. The extra point was blocked, and the Jags lead was cut to 26-13.

The War Eagle defense forced a punt on the Jags next drive. Wakulla mounted another drive and scored, cutting the Jaguar lead to 26-20.

The Jags next drive was stopped by a diving interception at midfield. Wakulla’s offense drove down the field for another score and the extra point gave the War Eagles their first lead of the night, 27-26.

The War Eagle defense stopped the Jags again, forcing a punt. Wakulla couldn’t move the ball either and punted.

East Gadsden had a fourth and 8 at their own 20 and went for it with less than four minutes in the game, but the pass was deflected and the War Eagles took over on downs.

Wakulla took advantage and scored on a 22-yard pass to pad the lead, 34-26.

But the Jags wouldn’t give up even as time was quickly ticking off the clock. They got as deep as the Wakulla 17 but a fourth down pass was deflected and the War Eagles took over on downs with less than 30 seconds remaining.